Monday, August 18, 2008

XPAntivirus 2008

I just had anothe computer with the XP Antivirus 2008 (the customer actually bought it as well). After cleaning the obvious junk out of the computer, I still had a problem with the desktop icons and taskbar not appearing and when you tried to run explorer.exe the system tells you it can’t find it (even though it is still present). I found the following reg key
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe

had a key DEBUG pointing to a program that doesn’t exist. I removed the entry and I got the entire desktop back when I rebooted. Note that I found one similar entry in Google but their key was different although it had the same effect. So pretty much anything in this entry could be suspect.

No comments: